Wednesday 13 June 2012

Time flies.

Well, it's now 2 weeks and 3 days 'til I go.

I'm sure it wasn't 5 minutes since this whole adventure was in the distant future and I was trying to figure out how to buy a plane ticket.

That one did take a while though.

And this whole journey has been absolutely amazing, it really has. The crazy thing is that it hasn't really began yet, but to bring me up to this point even, well, it's been an experience.

To begin with, I've come to realize just how grateful I am for my parents. Throughout this period of planning, fundraising and organising,  they've both given up so much time, going over every single detail of my trip with me, reminding me about vital things that I would have otherwise totally forgotten about, like Rabies vaccinations, and valid passports. They've sat with me when I've been gripped by fear, and just wanted to back pedal out of this entire thing, and go and do normal things instead, like spending a Summer with my friends.

They've encouraged, they've guided... they are two phenomenal people, and I am so overwhelmingly grateful and honoured to call them my parents. (So thank you both, I love you)

I've been made aware of how generous people can be when you present something they can believe in. From my amazing family getting behind me and giving more than I could ever have asked for, in finance and support; it has all meant so much - To people that I've never spoken to before, being so unbelievably generous with words of encouragement and donations towards the project, helping me to surpass my original fundraising target by far.

My friends, dedicated and encouraging, sitting with me week in, week out on a little table at Church and School, attempting to get every single person that walked past to buy a little black wristband. I'm pleased to say that they are now a common accessory, and still make me grin when I see a flash of 'A Better Future' on someone's wrist.

I obviously have to thank God too, I'm pretty sure that he's the one that's been orchestrating it all, right in the middle of the action. Well, I know it.

There are far too many people to name and thank on this post, but to every single one of you that has supported this adventure in any way, whether it was buying a wristband or asking a question about the Project, or something bigger, it's all meant so much to me, and it's kept me going when it all got a bit tricky. You've made a difference.

And all those pounds and pennies you donated? They are making a massive difference over in the Dominican Republic, currently feeding the hungry, and helping to maintain the Project's grounds so it will continue to be inhabitable and not destroyed by the heavy rainstorms and hurricane season, keeping a safe haven that way.  And that's only half of the money that's being used at the moment. Amazing isn't it? Those wristbands really are paving a better future for street children and abandoned, abused animals.

I'll be continuing this to let you all know what else your money has done, and will do whilst I'm actually there, trying to help a bit myself. One of my suitcases has already been packed, and then repacked, mainly because my Mum said my packing was awful.

I, personally, did not see any issue with it, but there you go.

The other one is half filled with donated stationery and school equipment for the children that come into the project, and is currently waiting on all of those last minute items that I need right up until I go.

And yes, I trip over both of them at least once a day, a painful reminder of where I'm going.

All of my vaccinations are complete, and I start my course of Malaria tablets the Sunday after next. I'm pleased to announce that all of the injections were in my arm, and the Rabies vaccine really isn't awful. The worst side effect I have is a dull ache in my left arm, but for all I know that could just be because I slept funny.

I think I'm nearly sorted, but there's bound to be something. There always is.

I've just got to remember to get through my two remaining exams (exciting times, looking forward to those) and make the most of my remaining time here in sunny ol' Coventry, then I'll be away for a while, and before you know it, I'll be back again. Just like that.

But to you all, thank you. Y'know, for everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment