Tuesday 3 July 2012

I´ve arrived!



Well, it´s already my second day in the Dominican Republic.

I´m currently sitting in an Internet cafe, surrounded by loud people arguing in Spanish. Indoor voices don´t exist here. And the computer is Spanish too, so from now on any and all typo´s on my behalf have to be ignored.

The grounds of the Project and the surrounding area are gorgeous, and the weather is always hot... although there was a large thunderstorm last night. I´ve visited the beach, which is about two miles away, and it´s picture perfect. The people are very friendly, but I´m pretty sure it´s because they want me to buy stuff from them, or get me on to their motorbikes.

Speaking of which, they´re all maniacs on the road, and I wince every time we´re in the car as no-one seem's to believe in road safety or traffic laws.

The poverty here is stark and obvious, sandwiched alongside great wealth it is even more evident. We dropped a boy home who´d stayed at the Project for a week, and he lived in what is the equivalent of a ghetto, tiny shacks piled up on top of one another, with animals, children, bikes and litter everywhere. It was hard to see. The Project really is a haven in comparision to this. We´ve also been out to collect wood for some rabbit hutches, and to try and sort out a new vehicle, as the current one is old, and regularly breaks down.

I´ve adopted one of the dogs the Project rescued and she sleeps in my room at night, and follows me around during the day. Her name is Lucy and she´s lovely, and a great help in avoiding homesickness. I´m still missing everybody though!

Well, that´s it for now. I guess I´d better go... don´t forget to check out the project´s website http://www.projectisobel.com/

Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. ha, indoor voices, please dont come back deaf. sounds awesome, u have no idea how long i've been waiting for this message. and whats ur twitter name? love yaxxx

    ReplyDelete