Thursday 6 September 2012

Santiago and Swimming

So, I thought I'd update you all on the highlights of what I've been up to this past week or so. (I think it's a week anyway, these things blur in my mind so easily)

Anywho, Thursday the 30th we took a trip to Santiago, a fairly big city about an hour and a half away through the mountains.

The mountains are gorgeous, and covered in a whole load of lush greenery, but mountain roads are scary.

In a lot of places the road had been washed/broken away through various tropical storms and hurricanes over the years, and they're often steep, and close to the edge. (especially on the way back through - passenger side was to the edge, and on occasion I'd look over, and say hello to my imminent death. Which, as it turns out, wasn't so imminent as I'm still sitting here writing this.)

Throughout these mountain roads are small communities; tin and concrete houses painted with bright colours, a tiny colmado supplying the people that live there, and usually something interesting to spot like, say, a pigs head hung out to dry.

Which reminds me, (Although I'm not entirely sure how my thought process works. Irrelevant.) Black coffee with cinnamon and sugar from a roadside cafe? (and in general) Amazing.

So, after a long drive we arrived in Santiago, and went shopping for dormitory storage, and general supplies for the Project. It was nice to see another side to the D.R. And obviously I forgot my camera. But picture a crazy, chaotic city and you're halfway there.

The next few days passed quickly, looking after Ranciel, assembling the dormitory storage -- a more stressful experience than anything ever needs to be. Easy assembly is a big fat lie -- doing my thing around the project and trying not to kill off all the plants in the vegetable garden. You know, the usual.

Oh, and attempting to write a personal statement now that I've got my A-Level results. This actually largely consisted of me writing ridiculous stuff on a bullet pointed list, and altering song lyrics as I worked.

(One of my favourites had to be 'I am chosen, I am free, I'm gon'get me a good degree...' and of course 'Hey, I just met you, this is crazy, but here's my key skills, let me in maybe?' and there are so many more from where that came from it's actually a little pathetic. But hey, I had fun. Don't judge.)

Moving on.

On Sunday we all took a trip to the river to do some swimming, which was loads of fun, and another new experience to add to my list of new experiences. The water was beautiful, and I was only slightly put off by all of the potential nasties that could be in the water, and the tadpoles on the rocks. We had to wade downstream a little to get to a quiet bathing spot, and I brought my feet into new worlds of pain walking across the river bed.

This was the busy bit of the river, where we parked up. And the only picture I took, because water and cameras  don't mix. 
Yup. Above is my lone photograph before I buried the camera in the bowels of the car, and we took off downstream to find a nice quiet spot. So, yeah, we all had a great time. Pauline, Wellington, Sandi, Gabrielle (our neighbour), Ranciel and I...

Rani had so much fun. He absolutely adores the water, and it was great to see him attempt to doggy paddle.

...

I think that's about it for now. I can't think of anything else that dazzles me for being of particular interest for you all, unless you want to hear about the accounts this afternoon.

 No?

I'll tell you about lunch today instead; Stewed beef and carrots, rice, avocado and cabbage salad with a fresh coconut to drink from. Very Dominican.

Also, there's a fundraiser on the 16th at the project, in case any of you are reading from the D.R, so come along to that!

And I officially turn another year older on the 10th. I think I'm getting wrinkles. I already nap like an old lady.

Right. Thassit. Hope you all enjoyed the update - please keep Project Isobel in your prayers, and maybe even me as a footnote or something.

x

1 comment:

  1. Hi Loz,great to read your posts,so inspiring and funny! Keep up the good work,looking forward to seeing you soon,I'm gonna eat a nice cake to celebrate your birthday! Mmmmmm love you loads,uncle Paul xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete